Thursday, January 26, 2006

“Really, what use of living in this country??”

The Mom has arrived. And till the baby arrives, she shall be my favorite bait. So I might wander off to different topics but there will be frequent stopovers. This is definitely not the first time my Mom has been to this side of the world but wonder and awe and disgust are usually expressed anew – just because. The things we are missing most sorely are:

1.The maids
2.The gossip sessions with the building-wale.
3.The maids
4.The sunny Hyderabad in general
5.And the other maids – not the daily ones, the weekly ones.

The kitchen is her domain. She loves to cook but at the same time is hopping mad that the dishwasher actually needs to be loaded before the dishes are done, the veggies actually need to be fetched from the stores before the cooking can be done, the laundry has to be taken downstairs and dumped into the washer before it can be transferred to the dryer (a whole extra step, which can throw your life into quite a frenzy apparently). And what’s more, the daughter and son-in-law actually need to work to fetch the bread home before it can be baked. All very unacceptable! While I hum and dance-about talking about how easy my life has become since she has arrived, she is still flabbergasted at how we can enjoy these miserable lives we lead. Last night after work, she saw me walking around watering some plants and mumbled

“What life I don’t know” (Heavy desi English here, but the Queen’s version does hardly any justice at all to the emotions to be conveyed).
So I giggle and say “I’m just watering the plants Amma!!!”
“Why all this when there’s no maali, no maid, nothing!”
“It’s three plants!”
“Put them in one place at least. Why in three different floors?”
“That’s ok”
“No lift (elevator), nothing”


At this point I laugh out loud. An elevator for inside the house!!! Before people assume that I live in a house with an East wing and a West wing and a North tower, let me clarify that it’s a regular suburban home...not very different from the home my Mom lives in Hyderabad but hey, definitely not the same it seems. First of all it’s the same physical and mental temperature in Hyderabad. Now that sentence is actually loaded. See my Mom is freezing mentally. In her very own words - “Physically I’m warm only but mentally somehow I’m feeling cold”. Now that just means that when she looks out of the windows she sees the white blanket Boston is under right now and it’s effecting her in unimaginable ways! :) We are yet to venture to the deck or even the garage so the physical warmth is being protected well, the mental part I just don’t know how to tackle. Permanently board the windows maybe? Suggestions are welcome!

On her daily phone conversations with my Aunt I hear her say “Never! Boston in winter, never!” Pause. “Yes, somehow bad timing for Gabby”. I frown and start grinning at the same time. Is she really talking about when Junior was conceived? Confirming my thoughts the conversation continued...”Yes, what to do? If the delivery was in August it would have been best. Now no other way!” she concluded.

I’ve heard about people planning babies so a school year is not missed or a tax year is covered. We should really factor in best visiting time weathers too now. Definitely time for a TurboTax kinda program that takes into account all of the above along with of course your “time of the month” and tells you when to excuse yourselves and go do it. Otherwise “Really, what use of living in this country??”. Really Amma, what use?! :D

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehe, reminds me of a friend whose mother-in-law has given her strict instructions to have a baby in Septmeber only - apparently that's a 'good' time ... we're simply aghast that her in-laws are orchestrating her sex life ! :D :D

So is your mom looking like one of those typical desi aunties wearing a saree, sneaker, and haxaar woolen coats ? :)

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So then Gabby, you haven't told us. What use of living in this country? And how is the tummy ache keeping up?

12:40 PM  
Blogger Zeppelin said...

whoa ! surprising that your mom is actually complaining.. when my mom and her elder sis were here, couple years back for my cousin's "delivery" .. they were so happy they could actually spend more time with my cousin and the baby.... cos of all the devices around in the house... :)

they were in Chicago and I was in Cincinnati..and both the oldies would call me and ask about how I am eating and keeping up my health !! huh ! :)


btw, first time (actually second) here.. commented on prev. post :)

12:54 PM  
Blogger anantha said...

Gabby: About mommy dearest's mental temprature, mebbe you should let her wear some sepia-toned RayBans! And turn the heat to the 90s just when shes looking out wearing those Raybans. Would give her a "hot" view.. LOL..

2:30 PM  
Blogger shub said...

:D :D :D
where have you been dearie?!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Pallavi said...

Hey nice to see you writing.. and how is the baby doing ?

are you here in Bangalore.. you can try Safina Plaza for the economic and Tikau kind of drapes. i usually shop there since I can change my drapes when i want ... I hate having the same drapes.. for a long time :)

Or you could even try Drapes Avenue .

The store is on Lady Curzon Road, Near Bowring Hospital,
Drapes Avenue can be contacted on 25592253.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Pallavi said...

hahah i can imagine what you are going through.. LOL..

All the best for the delivery.. hoping to hear the good news soon.. :)

9:56 PM  
Blogger Visithra said...

Eheheh ah so moms been keeping u away from us ;) how have u been ;) cant wait for a little gabby to come entertain us ;)

11:03 PM  
Blogger Shankari said...

Hi! My first time here- followed Pallavi here. All the best for the big day.

About the Sept. babies now- acc. to my gynae (she should know, shes so overworked!) most babies are conceived in the cold winter months, typically Dec., and are ready to pop out 9 months later in August Sept Oct! This was in context of my 1st one who was born on 30th Sept, but then I also have another kid born in Jan- go figure! :))

12:14 AM  
Blogger Prerona said...

welcome back! wheer have u been?

1:07 AM  
Blogger Twilight Fairy said...

aah.. finally u are back!

and no, i havent been giving smiley any company.. so rest assured :)

1:35 AM  
Blogger Akruti said...

Good to see you back,How have you been:)

"The sunny Hyderabad in general" its damn cold here in the night now and days Mr.SUN is already showing his anger:(, God knows how the summer will be. You takecare and enjoy:)

7:26 AM  
Blogger GratisGab said...

Ash - Coats and socks happen if I can get her to go out!! ...Currently we are in home is heaven mode. Planning to lure her out this weekend...wish me luck!

Zo - No use, no use. While we hum and haw about the opportunities that are passing us by, it takes a Mom to put in perspective the quick way, huh? ...What use?

Zepp - Welcome, welcome. And what can I say? My Mom is a difficult lady to impress it seems...gadgets she rolls her eyes at. I actually caught her emailing her brother back in Hyd about how cell phones work better in India!! :)

Anti - Good dood. Keep the ideas rolling. See "hot" views are kinds limited right now...the outsides being as they are and the insides are composed mostly of this lady in her third trimester...feeling bad for the Mom and hubby actually!!!

Shub - Where can I go my dear?!! Right here...attending childbirth classes, shopping for the young one and calming the bosses at work...who seem to think I'm gonna die in March - not go on maternity leave!

3:55 PM  
Blogger GratisGab said...

Pallavi - The in-laws are in B'lore...and as they will be visiting I'm wondering if I can get them to pick up something useful :)...Thanks for the pointers! Will ask them to go check them out and cross my fingers here!!!! :D
And I've got 8 weeks more to go girl...driving me mad I tell you.

visithra - yes, the baby should provide endless material. Now time is a different thing though!

shankari - Ah! Will keep all this in mind the next time we're ready to burden this planet. Right now, if I can get this done with, I'll be MORE THAN HAPPY!!! These things come with no instruction manuals and a no-return policy see...

Prerona - Been trying to get my act together for March....the knowledge that BabiesRUs aisles are far more difficult to traverse in your 9th month dawned on me rather late...so getting stuff done in a hurry...

TFairy - Whaaaat? Give me some entertainment girl. But I must admit, I'm happy for you *grin*

Akruti - Compare that with sub-zero temps here my girl. Mom still feels she got a baaaad deal :)

4:02 PM  
Blogger Peg said...

Oh Gabby, she is wonderful!! You are so lucky to have her with you!! Your renedition of her is so elegant! And she is truly to be admired; her love, her spunk, her motivation of a mother and soon to be grandmother. She is of you.

Not much longer to go and much congratualtions on this little boy who is grinning cheerfully at his moke's (grandma's) effervescence!!!
:-0}

4:21 PM  
Blogger :-) said...

Grabby: SOme mom there. Snow and cold are definite no for me too. We Hyderabadis ae like this only yaar.

8:54 PM  
Blogger gvenum said...

>>In her very own words - “Physically I’m warm only but mentally somehow I’m feeling cold”.

Send her to goo old hot Texas for a weekend, I bet "white blankets" would be her fav picture after that.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just came back from india, where i realised how dependent we are on maids, and how expensive they are!! well, there is this one 'cook' we have who makes 8 chappatis and one sabzi (the stir fry kinds) everyday and charges 700 rs per month!! scary..

my best rgds to ur mom.:)

8:12 AM  
Blogger GratisGab said...

Peg - If my Mom ever comes across this, she's sure to fire me at the not-so-elegant parts! :)...But yes, I do feel that Junior is enjoying his Granny already!

Smiley - Again - "Gabby". Not Grabby. No grabbing. Now Hyderabadis, what to do, what to do. I'm trying to explain to her that vadiyallu can be made come March, all is not lost, but she sees not my point of view - the beauty of seasons, the changing colors....currently the complaint has mutated into "My bones are freezing"

gvenum - Was planning on doing that...or something like that. But she wants to take care of me - and when one gets pakodis for "tiffin" and pesarattus for breakfast, one's judgement of what's best for all parties involved is...well, clouded.

sqrl - Oh yes they know their value there too...but a weekly cleaning lady here costs $320 per month...and a Gujju lady makes us 30 chappatis for $40...and don't even start me on the Tamil mami who would fleece us on a weekly basis till the Mom arrived...I think I should go pack my bags now - I'm getting visions of Amrish Puri and "I love my India"...a sign maybe?

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you writing Gratis. Don't disappear again - remember promised yoga class stories and better care for the "first-born" (this blog)?

10:13 AM  
Blogger GratisGab said...

Ashok - Ah the yoga class and the flexible ones! Thanks for reminding...currently though I might not do it justice as flexible waists are a big TURN-OFF....(as if there's a danger of you guys losing your appeal for it!!!) :D

10:15 AM  
Blogger anumita said...

You mom sounds really fun!

4:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

Back on track.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

many of those phrases r so familiar, what with my mom jus having returned to Hyd'bad after visiting my sis in London (who btw is also preggy:))

n now that i'm in belgium i've also adopted a few of her cribs like the cold weather n the horrible food!!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

oops, that anonymous was me :( (dunno wat happened...)

9:24 AM  
Blogger GratisGab said...

anumita - Ah the blog world and the real world...how different and how similar :)

?! - I'll take that as a compliment? :)

swathi - Grey London must be as bad...Mom now wants to know 7 day forecasts, so she can start feeling cold in advance. Hee Hee!!!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Alpha said...

haha..ur mom cracks me up everytime..loved the planst theory..

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home