Monday, June 19, 2006

Sweet Surrender (of a whole new kind!)

After dinner you are mine. No TV, no music, no chatting in the background. Just you, me and the peace and quiet of the upstairs. You are fed, cleaned, you look the picture of contentment…a toothless sleepy grin is my prize. I know the best way to get you to sleep is to leave you in your crib when you are drowsy so you can drift off. And you have shown us you can do that easily. But I take you on my shoulder and we walk from room to room, so you can continue to form your pictures. Pictures, which will one day, form your earliest memories. You look around, alert and bird-like, with your head bobbing ever so little, cooing at random. Slowly, you nuzzle and nudge your way into that favorite spot of yours where I can feel your breath on my neck. Your arm finds the comfortable perch of my forearm to hang off from (Something that you learned to do in your second month. When you were a newborn you slept like a koala with your hands curled tight underneath you). You are tucked into the crevice of my shoulder forming a perfect semi-globe, your little butt supported by my arm. There is a dull ache in my shoulder, one that keeps growing with your growing weight. One, which I have long ceased to pay heed to. As I arch my neck to make more room for you, I can feel that slightest shift of your weight. You are asleep, I can tell before I do my customary walk to the mirror to check if you are indeed, asleep. There is something infinitely trusting, infinitely innocent in that final give to sleep. I lay you down in your crib.

This has done me more good than it has done you, baby! Sleep tight. The pleasure, as they say, was all mine.

Now, if only ever night were this idyllic.

24 Comments:

Blogger anantha said...

:)

Sounds like you are having fun!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Alpha said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Alpha said...

Awww. If all moms could articulate their thoughts like this.

some stuff on his bath plz.. Make sure your maharaja will grow up and go awww when he reads all this senti.

1:48 PM  
Blogger GratisGab said...

Anti - I think up this stuff and type very fast...before I snap back into "Where the hell is MY life?" mode :)


Alpha - maharaja will definitely kill me if I write about his bath...isn't this senti stuff enough to embarrass him? So I hear you're pregnant? (Dont have time to read entire posts. I just "skim" as somebody I know said :))

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute !

And you made me rush over to Alpha's blog only to be sorely disappointed :)

3:58 PM  
Blogger shub said...

:D >:D< so sweeet!
in fact yesterday my lil niece was crying and she wanted to be picked up and be held....so i picked her up and automatically she held me tight and buried her head into my shoulder blades..dunno bout her , but it sure as hell was more comforting for me ! :D I felt so loved! (thankfully she didn't pee on me to bring me back to earth! :D )

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally cute! isnt it amazing how heavy they become the moment they fall asleep?..one of the biggest mysteries of mommyhood to me..
btw, sounds like you resolved your space issues since he sleeps in a crib now..... if its still an issue try and imagine a perpendicular orientation at 32 inches long on a 60 inch wide bed..picture that and you'll feel comfy in comparision..ok, it still doesnt address the "space" issues at hand:-)..but nevertheless..

10:21 PM  
Blogger Prerona said...

hmmm. that was so sweet v. ended up feeling 1 teeny bit jealous ... my momma's not done that to me in ages :(

10:46 PM  
Blogger Prerona said...

hmmm. that was so sweet v. ended up feeling 1 teeny bit jealous ... my momma's not done that to me in ages :(

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your writings. A daily common ritual gets transformed into a sweet memory.

-AS

7:38 AM  
Blogger anantha said...

Lol. Enjoy this mode then :)
Hey, pavam Alpha. Let her be, I say!
Btw, looks like you did not read one of our previous posts. To coincide with the worldwide celebration on the occasion of the Maharaja's arrival, we changed our nickname. We are known now only by our own name, which would be what now?
And we had linked to your announcement and all on that post. You did not notice? :p

8:50 AM  
Blogger GratisGab said...

Ash - So you mean to say Alpha's blog is disappointing? I know. :)

shub - we dont allow "free" time..."pampers" is our bestest friend.

Anon - We did imagine something like that! Hence the migration to the crib. Let's see if we win this battle of the beds. Right now, he has REALLY found his voice. So currently losing the battle of screams.

prerona - thanks. my mom never did that i suspect...i'm the 3rd kid - "mistake" maybe ? :D

AS - Thanks.

Anti - Aiyoo Anti. Just read that post. Anti is different from Aunty...one goes aeh...and the other goes Aaounty...so big namakaran ceremony happened for this?...Very thoughtful tho u are :)

10:01 AM  
Blogger Alpha said...

gabby: how do i repay you for this deed? you have got even anti supporting me and your mom should have been more careful.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Huma said...

Another heart-warming script. Its fun to read ya as it brings back all those memories when Maryam was this small and I always wanted world to know what great joys lay in parenting. Good luck.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pictures of the Maharajah please!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Arunima said...

children look so innocent when they sleep.

I have always enjoyed the feeling when I had put my cousins and neice to sleep.

lovely post.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

won't ask for a picture, coz u paint so well with words!
happy that my fav blogger is having fun :)

11:49 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

Reading ur post made me all nostalgic, remembering the time when Di was small like Maharaja... and now even if we give her a small wack on the hand for being naughty,she goes "why u beating me?"

I feel like having a baby again...just to re-live all the moments again....

KJ

5:11 AM  
Blogger Aqua said...

awwww...i agree with KJ...reading yr post makes me want to have a baby...only to relive those wee baby moments...to smell the super fresh milk breath of my baby again :)and those dazzling baby smiles when she used to wake up in the morning.

now my baby has become so independent i actually miss her as a baby.

11:58 PM  
Blogger upsilamba said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Pallavi said...

awwww !! so cute !!

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wowie.. u are one contented cooing mommie!! send me some pics babes..

1:21 AM  
Blogger Hornswoggler said...

so, so nice :)

12:31 PM  
Blogger Apy said...

Waaaaoooow... that was soooooo cute..

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home